Al Sharpton’s Blog

I have the race card and I'm not letting it go for nothing

By Al Sharpton

If you've been following the presidential race the last couple days, you've no doubt noticed all this talk about race cards. First Barack's camp accused McCain of using it. Then McCain countered by saying that Barack was actually the one playing the race card.

How can all these people have race cards in their possessions? The answer: they don't. There's only one and I have it:

If there were multiple race cards the article before race card would be "a" as in "Barack is playing a race card." But the "the" proves there is only one. It's a very powerful card. Kind of like the queen of diamonds in hearts times 10. Maybe times 100. And these candidates want me to just let them have it?

I'm not unreasonable. I would consider trading it for a bounty recompense to the awesome value of this resource. How about giving me one of the smaller islands in Hawaii and filling it with Mermaids and every model of Schwinn bicycle that has ever been made (including tandems)?

Oh you can't do that, it's not possible? Well then, neither is use of my race card.

You can even rent it from me. I have an idea: in exchange for one use of my card, fill up a water tower with cherry soda, drop me inside and let me drink my way out. Surely that can be arranged. You know what, just fill the tower with cherry soda, tell me it's location, and I'll take care of the other arrangements.

I've always wanted a room that was just a giant mattress filled with pillows. Screw it, this is quite a prize. I want a whole mattress house filled with pillows. And it should be able to float on water. And have canons.

Gentlemen, I await your offers.

8/1/2008 12:06 PM, New York

Al Sharpton Email Alerts

Comments

coloered man:

Why is it that people who call themselves "white" always use the term "race card" when the truth is spoken and their mind tries to ignore their families history of abuse to peoples of color all around the world.

8/1/2008 9:43 PM

Barry Bonds:

Word. A Rod my b***k ass.

8/5/2008 2:19 PM

Fred Thompson:

I must have been napping under the yum-yum tree and missed the memo that Tom Wolfe, the noted author and white-suit wearer, is racist. Guess I'll be having him down to Lawrenceburg sometime for mint juleps.

8/5/2008 6:23 PM

Samuel L. Jackson:

Hey sharpton, kiss my black ass.

8/25/2008 6:23 PM

Not getting into racism, politics, or religion. Just an old white grandma worried about Rev. Sharpton's health after seeing the latest picture on CNN news. Eat your veggies, proteins, and drink your milk! Take care and be a good boy.

10/8/2008 7:04 PM

Cdpea:

I am sorry to be off the message but I need someone to to do something about Bill O'Reilly. Get him off the air. See the article below from Star Jones.

Ladies...this is worth reading, please take the time to read it. I am not a "fan" of Star Jones by any means, but she speaks 100% truth. And turn off FoxNew & Bill O'Reilly. Once again a white man thinking he can say whatever he wants about a Beautiful African American Woman such as Michelle Obama. Is there ever gonna be a day when "color" is no longer looked upon as a negative???? When is such foolishness gonna stop????

This is a powerful article!

> Star Jones Reynolds responds to Bill O'Reilly/Fox News about Michelle
> Obama!
> Worth reading...
> Below is Star Jones' informed and provocative response to Bill
> O'Reilly's comment about 'having a lynching party for Michelle Obama if
> he finds out that she truly has no pride in her country.'
> Bill O'Reilly said: 'I don't want to go on a lynching party against
> Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that says this is
> how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels - that is a
> bad country or a flawed nation, whatever - then that's legit.
> We'll track it down.'
> Star said: 'I'm sick to death of people like Fox News host, Bill
> O'Reilly, and his sick thinking that he can use a racial slur against a
> black woman who could be the next First Lady of the United States , give
> a half-assed apology and not be taken to task and called on his crap.
> What the hell? If it's 'legit,' you're going to 'track it down?' And
> then what do you plan to do? How dare this white man with a microphone
> and the trust of the public think that in 2008, he can still put the
> words 'lynch and party' together in the same sentence with reference to
> a black woman; in this case, Michelle Obama? I don't care how you 'spin
> it' in the 'no spin zone,' that statement in and of itself is racist,
> unacceptable and inappropriate on every level.
> O'Reilly claims his comments were taken out of context. Please don't
> insult my intelligence w hile you're insulting me. I've read the
> comments and heard them delivered in O'Reilly's own voice; and there is
> no right context that exists. So, his insincere apology and
> 'out-of-context' excuse is not going to cut it with me.
> And just so we're clear, this has nothing to do with the 2008
> presidential election, me being a Democrat, him claiming to be
> Independent while talking Republican, the liberal media or a
> conservative point of view. To the contrary, this is about crossing a
> line in the sand that needs to be drawn based on history, dignity, taste
> and truth.
> Bill, I'm not sure of where you come from, but let me tell you what the
> phrase 'lynching party' conjures up to me, a black woman born in North
> Carolina .. Those words depict the image of a group of white men who are
> angry with the state of their own lives getting together, drinking more
> than they need to drink, lamenting how some black person has moved
> forward (usually ahead of them in stature or dignity), and had the
> audacity to think that they are equal........
> These same men for years, instead of looking at what changes they should
> and could make in their own lives that might remove that bitterness born
> of perceived privilege, these white men take all of that resentment and
> anger and decide to get together and drag the closest black person near
> them to their death by hanging them from a tree - usually after violent
> beating, torturing and violating their human dignity. Check your history
> books, because you don't need a masters or a law degree from Harvard to
> know that is what constitutes a 'lynching party.' Imagine, Michelle and
> Barack Obama having the audacity to think that they have the right to
> the American dream, hopes, and ideals.
> O'Reilly must think to himself: how dare they have the arrogance to
> think they can stand in fron t of this nation, challenge the status quo
> and express the frustration of millions?
> When this happens, the first thing that comes to mind for O'Reilly and
> people like him is: 'it's time for a party.' Not so fast...don't order
> the rope just yet.
> Would O'Reilly ever in a million years use this phrase with reference to
> Elizabeth Edwards, Cindy McCain or Judi Nathan? I mean, in all of the
> statements and criticisms that were made about Judi Nathan, the one time
> mistress turned missus, of former presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani,
> I never heard any talk of forming a lynch party because of something she
> said or did.
> So why is it that when you're referring to someone who's
> African-American you must dig to a historical place of pain, agony and
> death to symbolize your feelings? Lynching is not a joke to off-handedly
> throw around and it is not a metaphor that has a place in political
> commentary; provocat ive or otherwise. I admit that I come from a place
> of personal outrage here having buried my 90 year-old grandfather last
> year. This proud, amazing African-American man raised his family and
> lived through the time when he had to use separate water fountains, ride
> in the back of a bus, take his wife on a date to the 'colored section'
> of a movie theater, and avert his eyes when a white woman walked down
> the street for fear of what a white man and his cronies might do if they
> felt the urge to 'party'; don't tell me that the phrase you chose, Mr.
> O'Reilly, was taken out of context.
> To add insult to injury, O'Reilly tried to 'clarify' his statements, by
> using the excuse that his comments were reminiscent of Supreme Court
> Justice Clarence Thomas' use of the term 'high-tech lynching' during his
> confirmation hearing. I reject that analogy. You see Justice Thomas did
> mean to bring up the image of lynching in its rac ist context. He was
> saying that politics and the media were using a new technology to do to
> him what had been done to black men for many years -- hang him.
> Regardless of if you agreed with Justice Thomas' premise or not, if in
> fact -- Bill O'Reilly was referencing it, the context becomes even
> clearer.
> What annoys me more than anything is that I get the feeling that one of
> the reasons Bill O'Reilly made this statement, thinking he could get
> away with it in the first place, and then followed it up with a lame
> apology in a half-hearted attempt to smooth any ruffled feathers, is
> because he doesn't think that black women will come out and go after him
> when he goes after us Well, he's dead wrong. Be clear Bill O'Reilly:
> there will be no lynch party for that black woman And this black woman
> assures you that if you come for her, you come for all of us.'
> -- Star Jones Reynolds
> Friends and Family members, please read this and pass it on to your
> Sisters, Family, and Friends. Once again, I thank you for helping.

P Go Green! Print this email only when